Sunday 1 March 2015

A Doily Kind of Day

The first thing I ever crocheted when I was a little girl was a doily (well of sorts). My grandma taught me to chain and the double crochet and so I just went round and round feeling very pleased with myself.
Ever since then I have always loved a doily. I didn't care when they were out of fashion, I was still happy to display my doilies with pride.
 
Now the doily seems to have become a little more popular again (I don't think it's just my wishful thinking). Large, small, plain or colourful, the possibilities are endless. I started adding more colour after looking at beautiful mandalas on Instagram.




 
I admit I love working a repetitive pattern and getting mathematical with my crochet.
 

 
 
I have been hunting through all my old copies of Simply Crochet to find pretty patterns. I don't always follow the colours given as I like to go with colours that match my mood, or other things that become an inspiration, such as a vase of flowers on the mantelpiece.
 



 
Sometimes I like to just pick up my hook and yarn and let the crochet flow, add colours and shape as I feel them. Although I do get cross with myself if I can't work out what I've done when I later want to write out the pattern.
 
 
So why don't you pick up a hook and decide how colourful you are feeling today, see what beauty you can create x x
 
Katie x x
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment